Monday, March 10, 2008

Transfer devices

The nature of transfers changes radically during the progression of ALS. Transfers can cause a lot of stress for patients and caregivers when they go awry. When manual transfers become impossible, there are devices which can deal with PALS up to and including quadriplegics. I chose the “easy pivot” device at first. I have now switched to using a hoyer lift. I made the transition for a number of reasons. First, the physical therapist observed me in a transfer and said that the easy pivot was no longer appropriate because the loss of muscles in my back made it much harder for the caregiver to get me into it because I was unable to assist her. The caregiver had to pull on my arms to get me into position, and that was dangerous for me because this can lead to painful dislocation of the shoulder. It was also dangerous for the caregiver, who began to have shoulder pains.

I’ve been using the hoyer lift now for a month and it is working out well. It is not as scary as it looks in the film clip provided by the easy pivot people. Advantages: it is easier for the caregiver to use, CNAs are more likely to know how to use a hoyer lift than an easy pivot so less training is needed, it is easy to position me on the commode or in my wheelchair, repositioning is much easier, and it makes it possible to get someone up from the floor. I keep the sling under me all day, so the caregiver just has to put the loops on the hoyer lift and I’m ready to go. My lift is hydraulic rather than battery operated, and that works for me (I weigh about 170). I would recommend getting an alternate sling so one can be washed while the other is being used.

My hoyer lift was provided by hospice. I suspect that Medicare would pay for most of the cost of one.

What works for you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for alway posting your new blog posts on LWALS.

This was another timely bit of information for us as my sister comes home from the nursing facility this week, and we are making decisions about transfer devices.

Your site is well done and your posts well written, thanks again.

Hugs,
Pat Harbachuk (CALS, sister) to Ruth Rogers (PALS, 5/15/47);
Limb Onset Sx 8/11/04;
Mis-Dx Spastic Paraparesis 9/22/04;
ALS Dx 1/15/08;
Accepted into Hospice 1/22/08
http://gulfportgalals.blogspot.com/
ALS TDI Ambassador
ALSA FL Advocate

727-327-4172
gulfportgal@tampabay.rr.com

Anonymous said...

How is the Hoyer going over thresholds/lips/bumps? And is its footprint similar to the monstrous Easy Pivot?