Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Spasms and spasticity

Spasm and cramps often begin early in the progression of symptoms. Simple things like tonic water (gin is optional) can help but most PALS have to move to muscle relaxants such as Baclofen. I opted for a Baclofen implant which pumps the Baclofen into my spinal fluid. It was placed under my skin during a simple surgical procedure. It is about the size of a hockey puck. A catheter connects the implant to the spinal fluid, so the medicine bypasses vital organs and goes directly to where it is most needed. I have no discomfort from the device. The medicine gets topped off every six months. The doctor can change the rate of dosage by sending signals from his palm pilot to the computer in my implant. It works very well for me. I am loose as a goose.

I wear hand splints to keep my fingers from curling up and becoming locked. I wear heel boots to deal with toe drop and my twisted ankles. Massage gives short-term relief to spasms.

How are others coping? I hear that pills can have unpleasant side effects. Any experiences with this?

1 comment:

gamboachuck said...

Tony,

Thanks for your excellent blog and categorizing subjects into easy to navigate style.

I have been on Baclofen since my diagnosis three years ago. The doctor upped my dosage to 10mg three times daily. I am one of the lucky ones in that I have had no adverse side effects from any of my meds. I had some cold or hot patches on my thighs and was prescribed gabapentin for those. I very seldom have any spasms or cramps and the patches only reappear very seldom