Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Communication Devices

I knew what was coming in this area and I did a lot of research on communication devices. The ALSA assistive technology person was very helpful. Working with the VA, where I got my medical care, I had the opportunity to try out various devices. The one I liked the most was the Vanguard Vantage System (http://www.aroga.com/Com_Aids/ca_products_detail.asp?Item%20ID=2101). It gives you the choice of both a picture-based overlay and a word-based overlay. I found the picture overlay to be counterintuitive. I am told it is better for children. They are wired differently than us senior citizens. I used the WordCore overlay but I found it was quite difficult to program. Once the data was in the machine, though, it worked very well.

I was lucky to have my device provided by the VA. Does anyone know if Medicare covers this machine?

Has anyone else researched or does anyone currently use this machine? Any other devices with which you have had success?

2 comments:

Ellen C said...

Hi Tony,

I have been trying to leave a response for a week but kept losing my gmail account info.

I am glad your Vanguard is working out well. Actually Medicare does cover some part of the cost of a communication device. As with everything else, one has to have a prescription and then be evaluated. But the ALS Association has has a grant to help defray some of the copay costs. We do ask that the recipient donate the device to us in return. That is a cool grant!

Health Advocate said...

Do not think medicare covers the instruments.But if that helps you feel better don't think twice about it.