Sunday, February 3, 2008

My personal “commandments” of navigation.

Remember I am not "fighting" this disease. I am trying to outwit it, gaining precious days and weeks of life by anticipating my needs. I think everybody in the ALS community will agree that there are a few "commandments" that we all should follow.

-Keep up your body weight – move to feeding tube to avoid choking and chewing

-Preserve your breathing muscles by starting early with bipap & sleeping at 30-degree angle

-Continue range of motion exercises religiously to avoid freezing up.

-Maintain excellent skin care to avoid pressure sores

-Avoid hospitals at all cost – protect against falling, UTIs, colds, pneumonia

-Be nice to your caregivers

-Communicate what you want while you can

-Include frequent bursts of hearty laughter

-Avoid filling your days with relentless work projects – add a mid-afternoon nap to restore energy and reduce stress
Follow these commandments and, in the words of the immortal Adrian Monk “you’ll thank me later.”

No comments: