Sunday, January 13, 2008

Pets for PALS

Have you noticed that almost every edition of the NBC evening news has a “creature feature”? So why shouldn’t this blog have a creature feature also? Susan and I have a thing for orange tabbies. Tigger (pictured here) is our fourth. He is an 18-pound alpha male with a highly complex personality. I have always believed that somehow animals know when you’re sick and take steps to offer sympathy, consolation, and closeness. Tigger seems to think that it’s his job to defend me from all forces of darkness, including caregivers. He sits with me in my chair by day and sleeps with me by night with his front paw draped protectively over my leg. He gives me great comfort. I welcome interesting creature features from others in the ALS community.

3 comments:

Steve said...

Hey Tony,
I fully concur that these amazing creatures are "tuned-in" to our health, along with our psychology. I think the love we get back from a beloved pet is unmistakably unique and we humans can't hold a candle to their unconditional love! My dachshund, Pepper, has really been a Godsend! Thanks for bringing this to light, they deserve the recognition!

Steve

Anonymous said...

my house bunnies have kept me going. Penny was my original bunny, who went from pre-ALS to early-ALS. Then I had Hannah, who moved in with my bunny-rescue friend wjen she developed chronic problems that I just couldn't tend to [she is doing fine now, with daily medication]. As I write this, my current bunny Chelsea, is sitting by my side. She is really the only one who gives me unconditional love. This is important to me, because I have lost my family and most of my friends, who can't deal with my ALS

Ellen C said...

Isn't it wonderful how animals teach us that love is a verb -- expressed in behavior and spirit --not so much in words.

Thanks Tony,
Ellen